Were you trying to capture a critter in a live trap that you purchased from the local hardware store in Michigan, and inadvertently captured a skunk? Now, you must figure out how to release the skunk without getting sprayed. How can you accomplish this mission successfully?
If you are wondering how professional wildlife control operators in Michigan capture and release skunks, then you might just want to call one! Often, they will come to your home (for a fee) and swap the skunk into one of their traps and take it away for you. This is the easiest way to get your problem solved, without
the risk of getting sprayed by the skunk.
These members are ready to help solve your skunk situation:
Critter Removal -Macomb County, MI
Critter Catchers, Inc. - Bats & Mice Only: SE MICHIGAN
Hogarths Pest Control Company -Northern Lower Michigan
Hayman Wildlife Management -Southwest Michigan
The Bat Pro, LLC. Service these counties: Montcalm, Ionia, Kent, Muskegon, Mecosta, Gratiot, Isabella, Newaygo, Clinton, Ottawa.
Wildlife Management and Nuisance Removal -Emmet, Charlevoix, Cheboygan
We realize that some people in Michigan insist on a do-it-yourself approach, but we would certainly recommend that you contact a professional whenever dealing with a wild animal, such as a skunk. In some areas, skunks can be carriers of rabies. Nonetheless, someone is going to give it a try and release their own skunk.
Generally, skunks in Michigan are good natured and can be released without getting sprayed...most of the time.
How do you get a skunk out of a trap in Michigan:
1) Utilize an old bed sheet and hold it up like a wall. The theory is that if a skunk doesn't have a good target, they won't spray.
2) Slowly approach the caged skunk using the sheet-wall. It is helpful to talk to the skunk softly. You don't want to surprise the skunk.
3) Slowly place the bedsheet over the cage, and continue talking softly to the skunk.
4) At this point, you can pick up the cage by the handle (with the sheet over top) and carry the trap to a new location (if necessary).
5) Otherwise, you can simply open the door to the cage and allow the skunk out. At this point you are probably thinking about being face to face with a skunk that is out of the cage. You just must remain calm, and don't move. Most of the time, the skunk will walk away without incident. Hopefully, you discover how good natured skunks are!
Best of luck, releasing the skunk from your cage trap. If this doesn't sound like a risk you want to take, please give us a call and work with a skunk wrangler in Michigan.
Advice to avoiding capturing skunks:
If you are being proactive, and looking to avoid capturing a skunk in your cage trap, there are several strategies you can use to reduce the risk. First, realize that skunks are nocturnal, this means that they are active at night. If you are trying to capture a groundhog, which is diurnal, you can simply close the doors of the trap every evening to avoid capturing a skunk.
If you are attempting to capture a raccoon, then it can be more challenging to avoid capturing skunks in a live trap. Skunks enjoy much of the same bait/food as raccoons, so changing the bait up is not necessarily going to help. However, if you set the raccoon trap off the ground, you could avoid capturing skunks because skunks are not good climbers.